Early College High School Week
Early College High School Week, Monday, March 24 through Friday, March 28 is the national celebration of early college achievements. Since 2006, the Center for Excellence in Leadership of Learning and partner schools of the Early College High School Initiative have started or redesigned over 40 high schools in Indiana that are enabling more than 2,000 young people a year to earn postsecondary credentials faster and at a lower cost.
Early college focuses on enabling youth underrepresented in higher education (i.e., low-income youth, first-generation college goers, English language learners, students of color) to earn postsecondary credentials, thus bridging America’s achievement gap.
In Indiana, 100% of 2011 Early College graduates enrolled in a postsecondary institution compared to 64% of traditional high school graduates. Additionally, only 6.8% of 2011 Early College graduates needed remediation compared to 31% of traditional Indiana high school graduates. Indiana Early College High School grads choose majors aligned with Indiana’s workforce needs more often than traditional high school graduates.
Nationally, more than 9 in 10 early college students get a high school diploma at a time when up to half of all young people drop out of traditional schools. 90 percent of students graduate with at least some college credit, and 15 percent graduate with a diploma and college credential in hand. This college credit is earned tuition free, at a time when one year at a public four-year college costs an average $17,800 (including tuition, fees, room, and board).
Add this banner to your email signature to increase awareness of ECHS week!
Download a draft proclamation declaring March 24-28, 2014 National Early College High School Week and share it with elected officials in your area.
EarlyColleges.org for national information.
- High school students across Northwest Indiana get ready to graduate - Published May 25, 2017
- Tully: The wisdom of a 16-year-old graduate - Published May 2, 2017
- 21st Century of Gary student earns bachelor's degree before HS diploma (article) - Published May 2, 2017
- ECHS student featured on CBS national news earns bachelors before HS diploma (video) - Published May 2, 2017
- Accreditor Approves Five-Year Extension for Indiana Teachers to Meet New Dual Credit Requirements - Published Jan 3, 2017
- View the News Archive